Message 00018 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Mission statement (was: Request for comments)

Hi All

I like George's statement I would change a couple of things (sorry for the
attack of the greeks!) and add to the discussion on the operational side of
things

---This journal is dedicated to the critical study of peer production, by
which term we understand a mode of self-organized instead of
managedproduction in which participation is voluntary and predicated
on the
self-selection of tasks, as for example observed in the collaborative
development of free software projects or wikipedia. The aim of the journal
is, through research and analysis of the forms, functions  add: and
[self-aggregating] communities, as michel suggested of peer production in
contemporary capitalist society, to open up new perspectives on its
implications for social change
As far as the rest of the dicussion goes, I think it is reasonable to have
some structure in the review and editorial process, nevertheless one that is
inclusive and not closed or confined to the p2p or oekonux approaches and or
communities.

An editor and a maintainer are not exactly the same things. We need quite a
few maintainers to do administrative stuff primarily also web related stuff,
editors to review and assign to reviewers, editorial asisstants type
thing to keep track of the authors and corrections/deadlines and of course a
list of reviewers (which is quite easy to establish). The individuals that
would like to get involved in the editorial side and reviewing can easily
declare themselves, the biggest conern is to have maintainers committed to
cover admin and editorial assistants to chase up authors -- the legowrk in
other words.

Also,  I would like to draw your attention on a significant matter. If this
is a journal of critical study of peer production, we should more than
encourage people that deviate form the established networks and orthodoxies
especially to join us and publish in this journal. In my experience a lot of
colleague's work remains unpublished when it is critical of the journal's
editors or or a dissenting voice to the politics/culture/ideology of the
journal. It is a shame, and we should make a point of changing that. The
quality of a paper and the relevance of it are crucial, and not so much
protecting our own or the reputations of others. This has never happened
between our networks, and it should never happen with this journal.

Cheers

Athina

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM, George N. Dafermos <