Message 00116 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Re: Peer Review

ps. Apologies to StefanMn, he already addressed some of these issues a while ago in his comments on the articles (way down at the bottom of this email)...

----- Original Message -----
From: Mathieu O'Neil <mathieu.oneil anu.edu.au>
Date: Saturday, September 26, 2009 5:48 pm
Subject: Re: [jox] Re: Peer Review
To: journal oekonux.org

Hi everyone

Sorry for the long delay in resuming the processs.

First I wanted to make a suggestion to address the concern
raised by StefanMn in relation to new reviewers changing the
course of the project: there could be two distinct groups.
One group, "reviewers" (not yet involved in the project), would
be mostly involved in peer reviewing.
Another group,"editors" (already involved), would be involved in
peer reviewing as well as overall project governance. Over time
if reviewers take part in discussions etc and are accepted they
could become part of the editorial team? Just a thought.

OK, in terms of the peer review process and the articles by
Whitworth and Friedman (WF) which I referenced a while ago -
message below if you want to have a look.
I think these articles offer some very useful ideas. But not all
ideas need to be put into practice. In any case they all require
some technological expertise…

Following are some thoughts and questions.

1_General principles
First here is a summary of what they propose in their new
system, as opposed to the traditional system

a) higher rating discrimination (a many-point scale, not just
accept-reject)
b) more submissions to be rated (rate all)
c) more people to rate (community involvement)
d) different ways of rating (formal review vs. informal use ratings)

2_Publication
So what we could have is a more transparent process where all
submitted articles are peer reviewed and then rated from +5
(excellent) to –1 (don’t publish).
However in the WF system if authors decide they want to publish
publicly a – 1 article then it is published anyway. This is of
course debatable…

WF suggest that + 5 articles could be published as print or
otherwise "frozen". Graham did mention print-on-demand which
would be something to think about for the future. Does anyone
know anything about this? I don't..
Note: If people want to keep commenting on articles (for
readers) or responding to comments (for authors) in my view that
is fine but as was discussed previously I don’t think the idea
of endlessly updating the body of an article itself (as happens
on Wikipedia) is appropriate for a journal.

3_Anonymous review choice
Allows authors to improve their paper privately. I think for
research papers they should all be reviewed in this way. Maybe
we could have a choice between "light" (one reviewer) and
"heavy" (two-three reviewers) reviews  but this may end up
complicating the process a bit. So it might be better to just
have normal two reviews?

4_Reader ratings
WF say these could be the done formally by votes or informally
with mouse clicks (number of views or downloads). Thoughts?
Obviously informally needs more technical monitoring.

5_Performance reports
WF propose that like students who can request grades from
universities contributors (such as authors) could request
reports not just of publications but of citations, number of
comments, of downloads and views generated. Reviewers could ask
for records of their contributions to be sent directly to institution.
Possible? Desirable?

6_View filters
This refers to only displaying content rated above "x" like on
Slashdot I guess.
Should it be done? Can it be done?

7_Same again function
Automatically helps people find more of the same – ie find
content rated highly by those who rate like you.
Should it be done? Can it be done?

8_Metrics
WF suggest:
Relevance
Rigour
Writing
Comprehensiveness
Logical flow
Originality
Others? Less?

9_Progression of readers
I think most would agree that we should have reader input. If
there is a rating system generated by readers then they can
offer a counterpoint to “expert” and / or academic reviewers. WF
suggest there could be a natural path to associate reviewer,
reviewer, associate editor, etc
Thoughs...

10_Identity
This raises the question of who can be a reader? Do we require
credentials? Even more fundamentally, this raises the questions
of identity and privacy for readers and commenters.
WF say (and I agree) that we need contributors to register to
avoid spam and vandalism. They write that jounals should “check
the credentials of _who_ is submitting not censor _what_ is
submitted”. I think they mainly mean authors though. It is not
entirely clear what they think about readers (a priori "expert"
reviewers are known in-house so not concerned by this issue). My
preference would be to encourage or demand real names for
commenters and raters, on principle. Many of the problems on
Wikipedia (for example) derive from anonymity and the attendant
lack of responsibility which almost generates disruption.
Questions about this:
-- Can / should we have an automatic registration system for
participants or would people need to approach us to be
registered and given access?
-- Do we check that people who want to register are who they say
they are? If yes, how?

There are other ideas such as having an automated  system
for logging and tracking submissions but this could be set up
later as there is already a system for doing this - me :-) -
whereas some of the points above have no solution yet.

In short:
To everyone: what do we want?
To StefanMn and StefanMz: what can we have?

cheers
mathieu