Message 00725 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Scientific committee

hi mathieu,

I hope you don' t mind me adding a few of my five cents here and there,

this concerns your last paragraph,

that there will be a multitude of production systems is in my view not
incompatible with a dominant logic or mode which acts as a chaotic
attractor; in fact, I think if you look at past modes, you see always both a
mix but also a dominant logic ...

in feudalism, the tributary logic dominates, but with farming commons and
the gift economy of the feudals towards the church ... in capitalism,
multiple modalities but a dominance of commodification etc ..

I think that the commons will be the core of the next model myself,

i.e. new ways of dealing with inherited natural commons, through trusts and
other mechanisms

new ways of dealing with constructed cultural commons, this is where the
commons of knowledge, code and design of CP come in

and 'common stock' pools, i.e. new mechanisms of shared property

This does not mean that associated with such mechanisms, both state, market
and other mechanisms will not co-exist, but I do believe the 'commons' will
be the chaotic attractor, peer production the main way of producing such
commons, and peer to peer as the dominant intersubjective social logic ...

in the meantime, the 'weight' of such alternatives is increasing 'within
capitalism' and used for its purposes; and 'peer producers' and commons
contributors similarly seek to increase their own autonomy-in-cooperation
within existing dominant logics

of course, I'm not expecting agreement on this particular vision but I think
we can agree on:

1) the need to understand the emergence of these mechanisms

2) the need to understand how these mechanisms are being used to maintain
and transform the existing political economy

3) the need to understand the emancipatory potential and possibilities that
are both latent, expressed and created through these new mechanisms

While we don't know how the tension between 2 and 3 will play out, we do
know and I think can agree that this tension is worth studying and
understanding and that this is the purpose of the journal