[ox-en] Fwd: Re: Transition into the GPL society

Hi!

I have a question to our English native speakers.

I know that when someone wants to buy a book in a book store in an English
spoken country, he usually sais: "I'd like to buy a copy of [title] by
[author]", whereas in German, you say: "I'd like to buy the book [title] from
[author]". In this context, "the book" neither refers to the original
manuscript nor to the ordered copy, but to the information printed inside. If
someone wants to get two copies, he would propably say, "I'd like to buy the
book twice."

I think with software, this is exactly the same.

A few days ago, I bought Debian 2.2. It is a box sold by LinuxLand containing
CDs manufactered by optical media production and a textbook printed by
Media-Print.

I stated on the Oekonux list that this may be a good example of what I call a
"{Free {material product}}", because design and manufacturing are seperate,
and the "construction papers" (meaning the ISO CD images and the PS file of
the textbook, including their source code) are Free software. So, creating a
Free car would mean to Free or even to copyleft the construction papers of a
car.

However, nobody seems to understand me (see below). Could it be that this is
a philosophical problem that only exists in the German language?

Bye,
Thomas
 }:o{#

Re: Transition into the GPL society
LutzH, 2000-10-06
translated (No guaranty!!! ;o) ) by T.G.