[ox-en] Fwd: [ox] Text: The Governance of Code: Open Land vs. UCITA Land

Hi!

The following sounds interesting to me, too.

------- Forwarded Message

Date:  Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:11:03 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]
From:  Thomas Berker <thomas.berker hf.ntnu.no>
Subject:  [ox] Text: The Governance of Code: Open Land vs. UCITA Land
To:  liste oekonux.de

Habs noch nicht gelesen, sieht recht politikwissenschaftlich aus, aber
vielleicht ist das ja (trotzdem) interessant, Gruesse, t
- --------------
Authors:
Syme, Serena & L. Jean Camp
Title:
The Governance of Code: Open Land vs. UCITA Land
http://www.computersandsociety.org/sigcas/subpage/sub_page.cfm?article=543&page_number_nb=1
Abstract:
Imagine two network societies. In one society, the transfer of information
and use of software is governed by the various licenses used to protect
open code today. For convenience, we dub this society "Open Land". The
other society recently passed a law identical to the new Uniform Computer
Information Transactions Act ("UCITA", passed in two U.S. states and
pending in several others) to control its information and computer
software. We will call this society "UCITA Land". This paper looks at the
ways in which Open Land and UCITA Land differ. Although it might initially
seem that a licensing framework is trivial in terms of the actual conduct
of society, we posit that such frameworks in many ways define the mode of
governance of network society. The establishment of a market involves the
development of a bundle of rights that both create property and define the
rules under which property-based transactions might occur. In Open Land and
UCITA Land, fundamentally different approaches to the establishment of
those rights lead to vastly different societies.
Web-Site: http://www.oekonux.de/

------- End of Forwarded Message