Re: [ox-en] The Simple Economics of Open Source by Josh Lerner and Jean Tirole

Hi Chris

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Chris Croome wrote:

Hi

Has anyone read this:

  THE SIMPLE ECONOMICS OF OPEN SOURCE

  http://www.hbs.edu/research/facpubs/workingpapers/abstracts/9900/00-059.html

It is only available as a PDF file as far as I can work
out...

There are some follow-on papers from that on
http://opensource.mit.edu/online_papers.php

along with quite a lot of other papers (not all trying to reduce free
software to standard microeconomics).
(I've hardly read any of these - maybe we should have a review section
in the upcoming wiki? ;-)
One I'm curious if anyone  has thoughts on is 'Episodes of collective
invention'; I first came across this idea (though not this paper) when
I was trying to find out how the IC industry started - in it's earliest
days the enginers involved were communicating ideas completely
orthogonally to the corporate structure they were in-  and began to
wonder if free software was simply one of these episodes of 'collective
invention' which had managed to make itself a permanent state instead
of a transient episode.

Also another two document that I haven't read yet that
look interesting:

  The Architecture of Information: Open Source Software
  and Tactical Poststructuralist Anarchism
  http://www.iath.virginia.edu/pmc/current.issue/13.3truscello.html

why does postmodernist terminology bring me out in a rash every time?

  Scientific Instrument Making, Epistemology and the
  Conflict between Gift and Commodity Economies
  http://www.cla.sc.edu/Phil/faculty/baird/giftf.htm

Oh, like that, hadn't seen it before. And he quotes Lewis Hyde, one of
my favourites. Also he edits a journal (the link on the page is broken -
its http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/SPT/) 'Techne'' which has some
interesting articles, some of which (in a nearly complete circle) have
german authors who I think have been discussed on the german oekonux list
before (eg. Gunter Ropohl, Systemtheorie der Technik).

Graham

Chris

- --
http://chris.croome.net/