Re: [ox-en] debian [OT]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Rich Walker wrote:

Graham Seaman <graham seul.org> writes:

When I try to use

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

I get:

packages.debian.org is down at the moment.

Ah, but apt-get install <package> still works.

Sure, but I want to get a .deb of a modem driver to copy on to a machine
which has no modem driver. I don't want to install it, just download it,
and I don't want to affect the package lists on the machine I'm doing the
download from.
Unfortunately
 apt-get --download-only sl-modem-daemon
doesn't appear to be allowed,
and apt-get install --download-only sl-modem-daemon requires me to be root
and wants to meddle with the dpkg files. I'm sure I'll find a way to do
it, but packages was just so simple...

The web servers were on the compromised machines.

Yes, sure, I wasn't at all complaining about the time to get them back,
just about the lack of communication. And even then 'surprised' would be
more accurate than 'complaining', just because of the contrast with
Debians normal ultra-perfectionism :-)

As Benni pointed out (very constructively and politely ;-) this thread
doesn't belong on the list. I only started it here cos I
couldn't face the deluge of mail I'd get by joining a debian list. Sorry.

Graham

cheers, Rich.