[ox-en] Open Source Skills in Demand [u]

http://www.theage.com.au/news/chatroom/scruffy-geeks-on-the-outer/ 2005/10/10/1128796456004.html

Open source boom

A little factoid that many may not be aware of is that despite our massive IT balance of trade deficit, this country is the place to be when it comes to open source development. Believe it or not, Australia has more open source developers per head of capita than anywhere else.

Open source development projects with esoteric sounding names such as Samba, Mambo, Squid, Lams and Moodle, plus better-known projects such as Apache, OpenOffice.org, Gnome, KDE, and MySQL, have Australian developers in prominent roles.

According to Pia Waugh, the vice-president of open source developers' body Linux Australia, the vibrancy of the local scene is such that we're gaining a reputation for being an open source offshore outsourcing destination. But the problem is, with local companies and, lately, government agencies, looking to implement open source solutions, the pool of human resources to do the grunt work is drying up.

"I know of IT companies that have been looking for people with open source skills for three months," says Ms Waugh, who is also a key adviser for the conference program of the LinuxWorld expo in Sydney next year. "It's not so much a shortage of developers but a shortage of implementers and support people. The three main certifications that are in demand are Red Hat, Novell and LPI, which is vendor neutral..