[ox-en] A new challenge - Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit

[1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (8bit)>]
I think this is a great step forward. Especially the fact that it is NOT
about free software, but the spirit behind it. The main purpose I see here
is to help us collect building blocks of useful contributions to our
culture. It is also a reality check to see what is achieved and what not.

Can we keep track in the Oekonux Wiki with investigating good entries?

http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/FreeModes/General

My personal nominee for the first year will be Open Source Ecology of
Marcin Jakubowski, www.sourceopen.org.

http://www.fsf.org/news/social-benefit-award.html
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html
Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit

Please send your nominations by 30 November 2005.

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) announces the creation of a new annual
award, and a call for nominations:

"Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit"

This award is presented to the project or team responsible for applying
free software, or the ideas of the free software movement, in a project
that intentionally and significantly benefits society in other aspects of
life.

We look to recognize projects or teams that encourage collaboration to
accomplish social tasks. A long-term commitment to one's project (or the
potential for a long-term commitment) is crucial to this end.

This award stresses the use of free software in the service of humanity.
We have deliberately chosen this broad criterion so that many different
areas of activity can be considered. However, one area that is not
included is that of free software itself.

Projects with a primary goal of promoting or advancing free software are
NOT eligible for this award (we honor those projects with our annual [
http://www.fsf.org/news/fs-award-2005.html ]Award for the Advancement of
Free Software).

We will consider any project or team that uses free software or its
philosophy to address a goal important to society. To qualify, a project
- must use free software,
- produce free documentation,
- or use the idea of free software as defined in the [
fcp:// reflex.at,%239905409/licensing/essays/free-sw.html ]Free Software
Definition.

Work done commercially is eligible, but we will give this award to the
project or team that best utilizes resources for society's greater
benefit.

Please send your nominations to [ award-nominations gnu.org
]<award-nominations gnu.org>, on or before Monday 30 November 2005. Please
submit nominations in the following format:

# Put the name of the project or team you are nominating in the email
message subject line.
# Please include, in the body of your message, an explanation (40 lines or
less) of the project, how it uses free software or free software ideas,
and why you think it is especially important to society.
# Please state, in the body of your message, where to find the materials
(e.g., software, manuals, or writing) which your nomination is based on.

We will announce the members of the 2005 award committee shortly.

Some other candidates that we might examine:

Public Patent Foundation (http://www.pubpat.org) for their Patent Commons
initiative
Bioforge (http://www.bioforge.org/)

what else is happening ?