Re: [ox-en] Re: The Lettuce

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 03:43:05PM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Stefan Merten wrote:

Hi Franz!

3 weeks (26 days) ago Franz Nahrada wrote:
Stefan Merten on Montag, 10. Oktober 2005 at 8:33 Uhr [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] wrote:
He *really* managed to grow lettuce? Wow - unbelievable...

Well, I get a well tasting, cheap, and organic lettuce from my local
organic farmer every two weeks. So it is a bit hard for me to see the
revolutionary aspect of Marcin's accomplishment...

Also I think I already saw books about gardening and I know there is
lots of education on farming and I'm sure you can learn something
about growing lettuce there. Is this taken into account?

1.

The Lettuce is the beginning to work on integrated systems in an Open
Source Way.

But especially what Marcin is pursuing even lowers productivity by
using outdated machinery.

Ronja suggests that if you use outdated machinery and modern
Intellectual Property treatment, you get comparably good results as if
you use modern machinery and outdated Intellectual Property treatment.

CL<

No, it is not big deal what he (Marcin) presented so far, but the
structure is different from any copyrighted gardening book.

Then probably the noise made around it should be accordingly. IMHO you
risk not being taken serious any more if you make so much noise about
so little things.

it is not only OpenSource, it is based on a sound concept of development.
Its there to build a community that shares and at the same times resonates
with experience.

Please let's not forget that Marcin's project is also if not mainly an
alternative business model.

2.

but i
predict that open source industrial processes lead to collapse of mass
production

Which I would consider the biggest catastrophe since the time
industrialized production was invented.

If you look at the real needs and ways and costs of Mass Production you
will find it destructive to health, landscape, planet.

I heavily doubt that. Well, it probably depends on your vision of
health, landscape, planet and may be that is where we differ.

Well, but you simply could explain what you mean. For instance I'd be
grateful if you could explain how the production of computer chips is
any better when not concentrated in some few plants supplying the
planet but in millions of households or communities.

Do not worry again: production by the masses will only happen if superior
examples will convice them. no imposing element!

If this would be the case we would have this already. Capitalism
always goes to where productivity is maximum. Capitalism does
concentrate production of many commodities in relatively few places
and this is not by chance. One reason is that specialized machinery is
located in one place and another reason is that specialized know-how
is located in one place.

Once more IMHO reality proves you wrong.

- --
Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.