Re: [ox-en] Re: Importance of price

Stefan Merten wrote:

2 months (73 days) ago Yuwei Lin wrote:
Independent free software developers who do not work for the governments or
big companies usually have to face an ignorant question from their
users/customers: shouldn't free software be free of charge? These customers
are misled to expect free labour (or cheaper labour) from these free
software developers. And it is frustrating to them having to explain this
all the time.

Certainly true. However, even in these cases if the Free Software is
published after a customer has paid for developing it, it *is* gratis
for the next one who needs it. Isn't it?

I'm constantly getting tired of having to read about 'developers' having
'users/customers' - there is an essential problem in the continued
reproduction of these terms which are so exclusively tied into a
capitalist market. This whole discussion about 'economic profit', is it
a 'product' or is it 'gratis' or not.

I'm really getting tired of hearing: Money, money, money.

It is my point that free software differs fundamentaly from the category
of 'commodity' - it is a particular kind of 'cultural product', and such
'cultural products' CAN be part of market based transactions but this is
not the basic intention. Why is it not the basic intention? What is so
destinct about free software?

1. Free circulation!
2. Multiple ownership!

Both of these aspect are opposing capitalist logic, and rules of the
market, which is based on highly controlled distribution and singular
ownership!
Please, please - try to look away from the abstractions and begin
wondering about how people actually makes this "free software thingie"
happen.
And Stefan - I'm in full support of your point; when it comes to a
valuation in terms of money free software is gratis - but it is not free
beer.

I'm presently writing a paper for the Rethinking Economies conference:

http://www.rethinkingeconomies.org.uk/web/w/www_26_en.aspx

If you look down the list of papers you'll find my abstract, titled:
Circulating property.

The final paper will probably be posted on the website during next week,
alternatively send me a ping and I'll distribute copies directly.

--

Gregers Petersen
Anthropologist, Ph.d fellow

Free Software & Ownership