Re: [ox-en] The Ideology of Free Culture and the Grammar of Sabotage

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:45:49 -0800 (PST), Michael Bauwens
<michelsub2003 yahoo.com> wrote:

and Dmytri, there is really no need to psychologize arguments, like
"being
defensive", I can't speak for Graham, but it does certainly not
correspond
to my feeling and intention.

Sorry, but when you renounced Matteo's endorsement of Copyfarleft because
it was "unproven," that struck me as defensive. Why should an essayist
limit themselves to the "proven"? Matteo is writing theoretical articles,
not dictating State policy.

It implies that other currents in peer production discussions are based
on things that are "proven," i.e. your contentions that a "immaterial,
non-reciprocal" mode of production exists because free  software exists,
and I feel I have completely refuted these arguments, thus your reaction
to Matteo's endorsements of these and similar ideas as defensive, gripping
to interpretations that are important to you, that these arguments
challenge.

It seems to me like you do understand that an "immaterial,
non-reciprocal" mode of production has not, does not, and can not
exist and are having trouble synthesizing this knowledge with your
world view, thus you are inclined to react defensively to this loss,
as you go through the stages of grieving for this idea that was obviously
important to you.

Sorry about the psychologizing, I fully understand I could be comepletely
wrong
and off base, but that's how I took it.

I further want to re-iterate that I very much appreciate your work and our
interactions, that is why I throw myself into our discussions.

[...]

By contrast, the oekonux community, far from ignoring the class struggle,
is co-constructing an understanding of the most important social
processes
of the day, and each in our own way, are collaborating on the
construction
of the new world, by actively creating and supporting various open and
free
initiatives, something altogether different than merely sabotaging.

Sure, "the community" is diverse, however much of the discussion here tends
to neglect the dialectic process of change and the struggle and politics
that
must be addressed if change to be realized.

I try to be positive in most of my dialogues, but I can entirely
understand that Graham is fed up with the nihilism that is exhibited in
some quarters, it leads nowhere, and in fact, it is there that the
'whining' is located, if anywhere,

Then you can likely understand how many of us are fed up with the
unpresprictive, uncritical mumbo jumbo, and the deficient application
of political economy that is characteristic of this community.

People like Graham are generally too busy striking a dismissive pose
in the mirror to worry about why there is so little overlap between
this community and the artist and activist communities, which always
and everywhere are the historic engine of progressive change and
resistance.

It is in these communities that I meet people like Matteo, Toni Prug,
Joanne Richardson, Fran Illich and many others who Graham would likely
chose to be "abusive" to in a flurry of implied, ill-defined ideas and
name dropping.

--
DE +49 163 286 6163
UK +44 794 244 4444

OurNewsGroup.org: The Wiki for Usenet http://www.ournewsgroup.org/Quirk

http://www.dialstation.com
- international calling from your mobile phone.
- no special software to use, just your phone.
- first call free, no sign up, just call!
--
Dmytri Kleiner
editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net