Re: [ox-en] Information goods as genuine societal goods

Stefan Merten wrote:

1. Information goods are not exchange goods.

Let me comment on this point (as well as on some comments you already made yourself):

Without wanting to get drawn too much into an ontological discussion here, I'd like to point out that these things 'are' not anything in themselves. Rather, they become what we make them. If we choose to handle them as exchange items, they are exchange items.

This is totally unrelated to whether or not the act of exchange involves 'matter' (no matter what definition of 'matter' you apply here). And it is also quite independent from whether the exchange process requires any effort (whether it is frictionless) or not.

It is important to realize that whether or not the (re-)production of goods, intellectual or not, do not intrinsically imply a particular mode of production / exchange.

Regards,