Re: [ox-en] Re: Role of markets

What if there were two people stranded on an island?  Must they stay
isolated in order to preserve the biosphere, or can they get together
and trade labor and products so they can specialize without increasing
harm to the island?

There is a third option: they can cooperate, jointly producing what they
like to have (and making some formal or informal agreements on how to divide
the necessary work).

But isn't this just the trading of labor and/or products?

Let's say there is just one coconut tree here.

If I climb the tree to harvest the coconuts, and share them equally
with you, then I am 'out' the work I did for your share of that
product.

If you then catch some shrimp and share them with me you are similarly
'out' the work you did for my share of the shrimp.

Have we not traded?

What do you have against calling this trade, and in what way is it not trade?

I don't care so much about the name, but if it really is trade, then
we should treat it as such so we can move on to the next point in the
discussion - ever driving closer to discovering the REAL problem in
Capitalism.

Sincerely,
Patrick