Re: [ox-en] Re: What is value?

Paul Cockshott wrote:
Stefan Meretz wrote:
Paul Cockshott wrote:
It can be done by adding up the time taken to train different trades
and professions and amortising this over either the working life, or
the period of obsolescence of the skill , whichever is the shorter.

What about development of productive forces? Using machines, computers, levels of cooperation? What about tacit knowledge? Affective labour? And so on...

Why does this enter into the question, could you explain a bit more what you are thinking?

The following isn't exactly what Stefan is saying, but it's one aspect of it.

I have at different times in my life been, among other things:

- Mainframe operator: training time approx 1 year, as part of working hours. Period to obsolescence (this was very system-specific) maybe 5 years. Fits well in your scheme above.

- Wireman. Training time approx 1 year, including study in own time. Life of trade (I know there are still some around, but in a mass industrial/craft context I came in towards the end of this): maybe 5 years. Fits moderately well in your scheme above (how do I include my unpaid time?).

- Computer (board level) repairman. Training time: my own time, on the job, in evenings. Maybe 6 months full time equivalent. To obsolescence: maybe 5 years. As previous.

- Programmer (contract, precariat). Training time: skills picked up in sum total of previous work over lifetime plus continued learning. To obsolescence: not really the issue, the problem is finding contracts till I reach retirement. Doesn't seem to me to fit into your scheme at all (especially if you include, which you didn't mention, value produced at work, into which my amortised skill should supposedly be going: most of my tasks are not commodity producing in any way). In fact this chunk of my life fits much better with Adam Arvidsson's description in the 'Finance and Social Production' thread, much as I disagree with the neo-autonomist ideas of value in general.

Graham