Re: [ox-en] The Kerala experience

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de> wrote:
Of course there were a couple of interesting speakers including Eben
Moglen, Richard Stallman, Jimmy Wales, Neville Roy Singham
(ThoughtWorks). Michel Bauwens and Adam Arvidsson gave talks, too.

Wow, what a lineup!

 Richard Stallman said that custom software - i.e. software written
 for a fixed customer with no plans to publish it, often created
 in-house - is not proprietary software. The reason is that it is not
 published. I found this separation quite interesting. It also
 reminds me of the discussions we had about the (exchange) value of
 software. Graham? StefanMz?

I think this is a very important distinction that we can use to help
workers receive wages from potential consumers BEFORE fixing bugs or
adding features, but I don't have that written down yet, and don't
have enough time right now to unjumble it from my brain to explain
what I mean...

* What about Oekonux when there is still 50% agriculture?

 I mean that is not really a new question but in India it was
 impossible to ignore: What does Oekonux theory has to say for a
 country where more than 50% are still doing agriculture and even a
 still quite high level of subsistence economy. Good question indeed.

When you say "doing agriculture" are you talking about ownership or
about skilled artisans working that ground?

That may seem to be an unneeded distinction, but my view of a GNU
Society would be one where 100% of the population has agricultural
ownership, while a very small percentage would need to be working in
this most important field.  The number of required workers will only
continue to fall as automation (fancy robots, etc.) increases, but
ownership must rise to 100% if every consumer is to have the positive
control (Freedom) needed to insure their daily bread.

Patrick