Re: [ox-en] Collecting the strategic proposals and initiatives after the Oekonux Conference

Dear Franz and all!

Today Franz Nahrada wrote:
There has been hardly so far an oekonux - conference which gave birth to
so many collaborative ideas.

After two days of a break I'm just going through the feedback.
StefanMz once said that the in his opinion the 3rd one was the best
one. I think the 4th Oekonux Conference really topped it :-) .

But in the hurry of the Sunday leave there
was not much time to take them down or keep track of them. So I suggest
that we collect them here, on the general oekonux list,

I agree. This should be done here. Halfway behind the scenes there is
some sorting out on how to get visitors of the conference here but
since all communication will be in the archive we can just start.

including
information about people who do want to take responsibility of ideas to
become realities.

Very important point.

Stefan, did you take some notes?

I took some notes during the final plenary session. However, they are
more related to core Oekonux than to wider ideas:

* Common (Oekonux) book

  This idea came up from various sides and a couple of persons have
  contact to publishers (Athina, Martin, Mathieu). Publishing seems
  not to be the problem.

  In fact this is an old idea. The problem in fact is to have enough
  content for an (English) book. At least this was the problem in
  former times. May be we improved on this meanwhile.

  Personally I think it would be really great to have an (Oekonux)
  book. It could have a major impact on many more people.

* Magazine series

  Athina also mentioned a magazine for which she could imagine a
  series or issues based on peer production topics - though I'm not
  sure whether I understood this correctly.

* Neighborhood page

  The idea was to have a Wiki page listing the Oekonux neighborhood. I
  started such a page at

	http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/Oekonux/Neighbourhood

  and already added two entries. Could be extended by anyone. If you
  don't have an account in the Wiki just try to login, go to the
  UserPreferences and create and account using the account creation
  password

	freesoftware

  (not really secret but useful for spam prevention).

* Conference documentation

  Of course there should be a good documentation of the conference.

  This time I'll put material to the web site as soon as I have it.
  Processing and enhancing the material can be done later.

* Improving website

  The Oekonux websites have been said to be inaccessible. Indeed the
  Oekonux websites need a major relaunch. Any volunteers?

* 5th Oekonux Conference

  A couple of people wanted to have a 5th Oekonux Conference soon.

  Well, as far as I'm concerned I'd say in two years time. I'd also
  think this would be a good rhythm for Oekonux Conferences. But if
  others would organize stuff I'd be open for it. What we need most is

  * Hoster

    Someone who is ready to host the 5th Oekonux Conference in her/his
    institution and do all the local organization.

  * Funding

    After the 4th Oekonux Conference Project Oekonux is more or less
    bankrupt. We can pay for the hosting costs of the technical
    infrastructure but otherwise we have no money left due to the
    inability to raise funds for the conference this time. Unless we
    make some major modifications we need to have a good funding
    source before we even start to publicly organize.

  Suggestions for locations included:

  * Rome

  * Florence

  * Berlin

  * Osnabrück (Germany)

  * Amsterdam

  Personally I'd very much prefer a city outside the German language
  sphere. For me anything else would be a major step backward.

  Rome or Amsterdam would be great IMHO but we need someone who is
  ready to host it there. The usual constraints such as a cheap
  international airport nearby apply of course.

Did anybody else?

There were probably more ideas during the conference I'm even not
aware of. Please share them with us.