From: Christian Siefkes <christian siefkes.net>
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:27 am
Subject: Re: [jox] Mission statement
To: journal oekonux.org

Hi Mathieu, all,

Mathieu O'Neil wrote:
I think the mission statement is starting to look fine. My
simplified suggestion is:

"This journal is dedicated to the critical study of peer
production, understood as a mode of self-organized production in
which participation is voluntary and predicated on the self-
selection of tasks, as for example observed in the collaborative
development of free software projects or of the Wikipedia online
encyclopedia. Through the analysis of the forms and operations
of peer producing communities in contemporary capitalist
society, the journal aims to to open up new perspectives on the
implications of peer production for social change."

I like the statement, but in the characteristization of peer
production I
miss one essential thing: the commons. (Benkler, who coined the
term, talks
about "commons-based peer production"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commons-based_peer_production>,
and for good
reason.)

The most simple way to fix this without increasing the length of
the first
sentence (which is already very long) too much, would be to replace
"mode of self-organized production" by
"mode of commons-oriented, self-organized production".
(Or maybe "commons-based" instead of "commons-oriented.")

I  think it is essential to have a full list of the
editorial committee's names and "institutional affiliation" - it
will be obvious that not everyone is an academic, that's the
specificity and interest of this project in my view. We do need
some clear commitments from people though.

 So far there is me, StefanMn, and StefanMz. So: George,
Athina, Michel: can we put your names as reviewers / scientific
committee members? Anyone else interested?

You can add me, too.

Best regards
	Christian

--
|-------- Dr. Christian Siefkes --------- christian siefkes.net -
--------
|   Homepage: http://www.siefkes.net/
|   Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
|   Better Bayesian
Analysis:           |   Peer Production Everywhere:
|   http://bart-
project.com/            |   http://peerconomy.org/wiki/
|------------------------------------------ OpenPGP Key ID:
0x346452D8 --
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little
temporarysafety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        -- Benjamin Franklin

****
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University

E-mail: mathieu.oneil anu.edu.au
Tel.: (61 02) 61 25 38 00