Message 00063 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Draft CFP

Hi Stefan

a) Electronic system for submissions: sure, why not, if it helps and we can do it with minimum hassles.

b) Bug in list archive: OK, will wait until this is resolved. Thanks for letting me know.

c) Setting a webpage up: no need yet, once we have more people on the scientific committee we can put it up. It would be good to do this sometime in September when people are back from vacation and we can formally announce the existence of the journal as well as releasing the CFP. It would be better if the journal webpage is right away in the Plone template rather than the old website template – is that what you had in mind?

d) Regarding your concerns about having too many people involved and sort of losing control over the project (what George referred to as the risk of diluting "ideological coherence")
.
In terms of what scientific committee members are expected to do, I would suggest the following:
-contribute submissions
-review submissions
-discuss submissions on the list
-write rejoinders or dissents to submissions
-contribute thoughts on the direction of the project

So, potentially, you might argue that new people could hijack the project and drag it where it should not go. There are two ways in which this is not such a big risk in my view.

First, I will naturally approach people who I think will be a good fit.

Now, you might say that this was not a very satisfactory answer because it relies on one person's judgment too much: I agree. But there is a structural way to preempt any mistakes I might make. I would argue that the very nature of this project (the clear adoption of peer production principles such as the rejection of proprietary software for submissions, the focus on transparent and publicly archived discussion - via this list - for peer reviews, the fact that the journal is hosted on the Oekonux website, etc) means that only those people who are comfortable with these principles will self-select to participate.

The CFP/mission statement will act as a kind of founding document or charter in this respect. It is up to us to use it to make it as clear as possible what it is that we want to do. This document is being discussed _now_ and though there may be evolutions or nuances in the future it will fundamentally frame whatever direction the project takes. In this way you could say that ideological coherence will derive from the required adherence of participants to the above-mentioned principles.

cheers

Mathieu