Message 00072 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] New Draft CFP

Hi Raoul and all

Thanks for the comments, I respond briefly below.

[snip]

About the mission statement: I fully understood Christians'
proposition (17jul) to add “commons-based” or “commons-oriented”
in the definition of peer production. The meaning of both is not
identical. Mathieu opted for “commons-based”, as in Benkler's
definition in Wikipedia. But I think it would be useful to be
more specific and integrate both ideas by writing: “commons-
based **and** commons-oriented production”. That might seem
redundant, but “based” may mean that only the input is “common”.
“Commons-oriented” makes more explicit that the output is also
“common”.

OK, well I see your point but stylistically it is a bit heavy to have both in my view. Whichever one encompasses the other could be put in - or alternatively a formulation like "commons-based and oriented"?

About the list of “topics of interest”: I propose to add “peer
production as an alternative to capitalism”. That was the
formulation used by Mathieu in one of his first mails about the
mission statement (10jul). The Stefan Merten's suggestion
(5aug): “peer production in/vs/and capitalism” seems to express
the same need. The idea contained in “alternative” may be
considered included in the topic: “expansion of peer production”
proposed by Mathieu. But it might not. That could only mean
expansion **within** the capitalist framework. (which, btw - I
agree with all the interventions in that sense - is also an
important topic to deal with). The idea that peer production is
a germ of a society *beyond* capitalism is after all one of the
most specific of Oekonux.

OK, we can add that one in!
cheers

Mathieu

Raoul

Hi all

Following is a new iteration of the mission statement / CFP.

****
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University

E-mail: mathieu.oneil anu.edu.au
Tel.: (61 02) 61 25 38 00