Message 00100 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Re: Peer Review

Hi Mathieu and all!

3 days ago Mathieu O'Neil wrote:
Hi Stefan, all

Commenting on some of Stefan's points.

"Reinventing academic publishing online. Part I: Rigor, relevance and
practice" by Brian Whitworth and Rob Friedman.
First Monday, Volume 14, Number 8 - 3 August 2009

http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/viewArticl
e/2609/2248

A nice article indeed (though I did not real all of it). The good
thing about our journal is that it doesn't come from the academic
tradition and thus has not necessarily to align to the tradition
outlined in the paper.

M: Well, we want to have high scientific standards for research papers,
right?

Well, quality is not only possible in science - right? May be I am a
quality fundamentalist anywyy ;-) .

4 days ago Mathieu O'Neil wrote:
So they advocate opening up the review process (reviews would become
visible
so reviewers would get some recognition) while maintaining its blindness
(the identity of the author is secret during the review process). However
how this would work will only be revealed in Part II - when will this come
out? Next month perhaps.

Would be interesting to read indeed.

M: I am thinking about writing to get an advance copy.

Please try. If it should be shared among this group but not published
then it could be put on the web somewhere temporarily and the link
send to this list.

In a nutshelll: we need some incentives for people to publish with us.

There is already an incentive: Help the progress of mankind. Isn't
this enough?

M: Well, you are speaking from the perspective of someone outside the
academic world. That's fine. But the reality is that in the academic world
people do things for hybrid reasons - ie for the good of all, but also to be
survive. Because they get "paid" (in prestige) for publishing useful
research...

I see. And I understand that we need to make compromises here...

Message 00100 [Homepage] [Navigation]