Message 00208 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Multi-rating mode of evaluation

Hi Mathieu,

I seemed to miss the proposal for proposing new SC members. Can you point me to the email again?

Thanks!

Gabriella

Mathieu O'Neil wrote:
[Converted from text/html]

HI Athina, Stephan, all

I dont think just because one person has their mind set on something
constitutes a sufficient reason to do it, whoever that person may be.
I think its important to keep in mind what people want. A number of
people have expressed serious reservations about rating
indiscriminately. At the same time StefanMn has argued for ratings:
but why? If I remember correctly it was mainly to allow papers that
were either a) "controversial" (ie political, radical) or b) written
by non-English speakers, to be published.

My suggestion is to compromise: normally published papers are not
rated. They are produced along the lines I suggested in my post called
"Alternative peer review system", inspired by Toni Prug's piece. But
when authors or reviewers feel that the paper are concerned by either
of the categories mentioned above, then authors can ask for and
reviewers can suggest that they are rathed in these categories. That
way papers which would either not be published or take endless
negotiation or fixing up to be published can be.

I agree with Athina that the debate needs to be wrapped up otherwise
energy will continue to drain out of the project.

The same goes with how to define who can be part of the SC. I have
made a proposal that seemed to me fair and clear a number of times,
I'm not going to repeat it again. Well some new people have been
suggested but I didnt want to contact anyone until there was

cheers

Mathieu