Message 00209 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Multi-rating mode of evaluation

Hi Biella

The email was sent on December 6.

I'll reprint it below, adding in my suggestion for the possibility of electing to be rated according to english and controversiality.
Comments?

cheers,
Mathieu

=-=-=

Hi all

OK, well there is obviously some serious opposition to the expert
rating system (sorry Brian!). At the same time no-one seems to have a
problem with reader ratings... ?

Anyway, I have tried to come up with a new proposal based on the paper
by Tony Prug posted by Johann. I have modified his system a bit for
two main reasons: first, in order to tighten and quicken the process.
Second, to find a balance between openness and the risk of outsiders
inappropriately using material before it has been officially released
or rejected.

=-=-=-=

Prospective authors submit a proposal to the list.

All list members vet this proposal during a reasonable period of time
(1-2 weeks?): is it appropriate for the journal, are there missing
arguments or references?

Authors write their submission.

Authors submit to the journal, specifying (if applicable) whether they want to be rated according to English / controversiality.

The submission is posted by the editor to a password-protected part of the website for reference who also alerts the list that he has done so.

The editor suggests two expert reviewers (submissions welcome).

The two expert reviewers read and evaluate the submission during a
reasonable period of time (3-4 weeks?). Reviewers can coordinate their reviews. Reviewers decide whether papers should be rated according to English / controversiality.

Reviewers post their reviews and recommendations to a password-
protected part of site and alert the list that they have done so.

The list discusses this during a reasonable period of time (1-
2 weeks?).

During this time consensus emerges: publish, revise and resubmit (to
two other reviewers, for example?) or reject, or

During this time consensus does not emerge: the decision then moves to
a formal vote on the Governance Board: publish, revise and resubmit
(to two other reviewers, for example) or reject.

Submission published.

Readers can comment [and rate?].

Authors can respond in comments section [and add links in the text to
relevant comments and responses? No updating of text though].

=-=-=-=