From: Mathieu ONeil <mathieu.oneil anu.edu.au>
Date: Monday, June 6, 2011 10:00 am
Subject: Re: [jox] Identity of reviewers
To: journal oekonux.org

Hi all

This reminds me of the Wikipedia trope of being able to "look
under the hood" of knowledge production so that as Clay Shirky
would say knowledge does not arrive fully formed by mysterious
magic (like in alchemy) but can withstand the withering scrutiny
of peers (as in chemistry, which had the same actors and
elements as alchemy but was open to external review).

In the context of CSPP, the problem is consistency. On Wikipedia
all article histories and debates are archived by default.

In our case if authors and reviewers can opt in and out of
publishing first drafts and reviews, paper 1 may have no first
draft and review A and C but not B, while paper 2 will have a
first draft and review C only. My question is : (a) how useful
is this scientifically and (b) won't this look kind of messy and
reflect poorly on the journal?

To be clear, I'm not against the idea - in fact we started with
the assumption that reviews would be published, which may indeed
improve review quality and it does make sense to publish a first
draft as well - just concerned about the patchiness of what we
end up with...?

cheers,

Mathieu

ps. I'm also not clear whether we should let authors decide
whether reviews should be published or not - maybe that should
be a condition of article publication - that reviewers will have
the option of publishing their review?

From: Gabriella Coleman <biella nyu.edu>

Ditto.

Biella