From: lincoln dahlberg <l.j.dahlberg xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:12 am
Subject: Re: [jox] Identity of reviewers
To: "journal oekonux.org" <journal oekonux.org>

Hi Mathieu and all,

I agree that consistency is important, I also think publishing
all reviews would be useful for improving quality, quality of
reviews is a regular complaint of authors and I think this
innovation would be attractive - I think it is important to
focus on what will attract quality contributions, without such
all the journal's hard work is for naught.

Related to this, and apologies if I have interpreted the current
policy incorrectly, but speaking from past experience of
academic journal editing I think the journal should be somewhat
cautious about the meaning of 'openness' with regards to
revealing author names to reviewers before a publication
decision. Here I am thinking of the extensive power relations in
academia {accompanied with practices ranging from bullying to
favouritism} including in publishing, and the reputations and
egos at stake, which I don't believe the journal can get past.
As such I would suggest that:* both author and reviewer names be
kept confidential until after a decision to publish or not
publish.

Again, I'm particularly concerned about the journal attracting
quality contributions in the first place. I wonder how many
academic authors might be somewhat weary of revealing their
names to unknown reviewersbefore review - I know power cannot be
eliminated, but, again, academia is full of petty personal
politics and intellectual 'bias' etc that we should at least
attempt to tone down. Either author and reviewer names are
revealed, or both are confidential until publication decision.
But maybe this is already the case so apologies for the ramble,
just a concern.

best

Lincoln