Message 00659 [Homepage] [Navigation]

[jox] Call for Reviewers - Regular issue: P2P Theory

Hi all

Well, following on from our discussion on the need for a backup in case the special issue on hardware and biohacking is not ready for December, here is the abstract for a paper that was recently submitted to the journal. If someone feels like helping out over (Northern) summer it would be great. Please contact me offlist to maintain confidentiality if you are interested. I will also contact reviewers but I thought it would be good to give people a chance to contribute like this...?

Collaborative Production
Many concepts
have sprung in the last fifteen years to describe a bunch of
particular ways of organizing productive processes of informational
goods: “Bazaar Model” (Raymond, 1997), “Non-command
cooperation” (Vidal, 2000), “User generated content
or user created content” (OECD, 2007), “Peer
to Peer Production, P2P” (Bauwens, 2006), “Commons Based Peer
Production” (Benkler, 2005); “Collaborative production” or
“Mode of production of intellectual commons”
(Vercelli,
2006, 2009). The first objective of this paper is to provide a
systematic and unifying definition of the phenomenon. The second
objective is to characterize various types of  “Collaborative
Production” which are usually confused. In order to do this, two
variables related to the productive processes are taken into account:
a) Are enterprises involved? b) Is there an actor who controls the
platform for the collaboration? As a result of grouping empirical
examples –some well known, some obscure- around these questions,
four kinds of collaborative production came out: Public
non-state
Collaborative Production, ii) Mixed
Collaborative Production, iii) Capitalist
Collaborative Production and iv) Statist
Collaborative Production. This classification allows us to
distinguish that some features of the categories i) and, to some
extent, ii) are those which are commonly identified with the whole
collaborative production. However, the modalities iii) and iv) need
both public attention and urgent regulatory efforts.

The full paper is in the SC part of the site: Latest submissions -> Regular Issue.
I thought P2P theory was good enough working title for now, can always be changed later.

cheers,

Mathieu

Message 00659 [Homepage] [Navigation]