[ox-en] List culture (was: Re: Free administration)

Hi all!

5 hours ago Timm Murray wrote:
In other words, you have a lot of new members around here that don't
know the unwritten rules for the list and may permanently damage the list's ecology.

As Graham pointed out in this list until now there is no culture to
damage.

However, on the German list there is a *very* pleasant culture I never
experienced before on a mailing list and I think this is one of the
key factors of Oekonux. The list is unmoderated and I appreciate that
very much (given the traffic moderation would be close to a full time
job BTW...). Nonetheless posts to the lists are more or less always
on-topic. I think the respect for the subscribers who subscribed to
receive mail about a certain topic demands this. There is already
enough spam-mail out there.

Personally I think *this* is the way to go and to learn most. After
all we're all here to learn something new - aren't we?

Well, personally I don't tolerate people, who obviously disturb the
list. Personally I have little problem filtering people from the list
if after explicit pointing them at their misbehavior they don't stop
doing so. I've seen too much good projects fail because single persons
disturbed the others so much to be tolerant here. However, until now
during two years this has not been necessary :-) . Anyway the German
list regulates itself pretty well :-) :-) . Seemingly people who like
to disturb don't like lists of that kind :-) .

Anyway, there is a mailing list `projekt oekonux.de' with a bunch of
people caring about the project as a whole. Questions like these are
decided there finally. This list is also in German, but English
queries are no problem.

There are also some technical aspects. A few days ago we set up a
German text describing them. Key points are:

* No cross-posting to other lists

  Prevents replies from the other lists.

  Actually the German list [liste oekonux.de] should be considered an
  exception from that rule.

* No HTML-Mail or other attachments

  Mainly because of danger of a virus / worm but also to reduce
  unnecessary doubling of data. Actually some `multipart' MIME-types
  are filtered and are resend by hand.

* Replies and new threads

  Because there is a threaded archive please reply to a mail only if
  you really want to say something to the mail you're replying to. If
  you're presenting something new, write a mail from scratch.

* Decent subjects

  Subjects help people so choose good ones.

  When a subject changes during a thread use

	Subject: New subject (was: Old subject)

						Hope this helps