Re: [ox-en] "Play" (was: Re: The Abolition of Work)

Hi Benja and all,

interesting insights in "play"!

B. Fallenstein wrote:
> The play we would want to base a society on is paida-play. But since
> English doesn't make the distinction (nor does German, for that
> matter), I feel the word is not clear enough. In other words, I fear
> that replacing "work" by "play" could be mistaken or subverted to mean
> promoting competing all the time for all sorts of resources. I
> understand the die-hard capitalists as promoting competition as
> agon-play (even if they may not use the word play).
>
> Better find some other word... Why not invent one? ;o)

Why not just take most simple words like "doing", "making", or "acting"?

In german some people use "Taetigkeit" (activity) instead of "Arbeit"
(work/labor), because "Arbeit" is always alienated and end in itself.

Ciao,

     Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft ver.di
     Internetredaktion
     Potsdamer Platz 10, 10785 Berlin
--
     stefan.meretz verdi.de