[ox-en] [Freesw] Free Sw Manifesto in English, (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:18:14 -0300
From: Cláudio Menezes <cmenezes unesco.org.uy>
To: Freesw List <freesw conecta.it>
Subject: [Freesw] Free Sw Manifesto in English,

http://www.softwarelivre.rs.gov.br/artigos/manifesto-ing.txt
Manifest to the Free Software Community

This meeting, in its second edition, is a milestone in the construction of the international free software  movement. Our objective on these three days is to strengthen the original mission of the movement which was inspired by the concept of freedom from the Free Software Foundation. We aim to go deeper into the construction of a concrete alternative would insert the technological question into the context of a world with social inclusion, equality and access to technological advances.

One year after launching "Projeto Software Livre RS", we have proven this is possible. Beyond limited terms in the national scenery, the free software bases, we have developed many alternatives using free programs. More than this, we inserted ourselves onto the international scene as an important locale of development. We proved, with this, that it is possible for us to be a reference in the technological area,  presenting solutions, outside of the economic capitalistic center.

This proves that a model based in solidarity, in knowledge socialization produced results-distribution instead of competition. Concentration and accumulation are better suitable for the development of our planet. We have shown that "the other world is possible". Here it's the free software land.

The coordination of "Projeto Software Livre RS" requires dialog with other movements and initiatives that aim for alternatives from the international domination and exclusion. For this reason, we presented the "Fórum Social Mundial 2001" here in Porto Alegre. We defined this meeting as one more step, among the many that are occurring in the world, toward the construction of  the "Fórum Social Mundial 2001".

This way, we'll be strengthening and amplify the free software community and, at the same time, incorporating our specifications into the construction of a global alternative program.

We invite the whole free software community: independent developers, governmental entities, non governmental organizations, distribution companies, public and private companies, user groups, universities and research institutions to add up to the construction and convocation of the "Fórum Social Mundial 2002". Please join us next January in Porto Alegre and in the preparation of the "Fórum Internacional de Software Livre 2002" predicted to May 2nd. , 3rd. and 4th.

We greet all participating to the "Fórum Internacional de Software Livre 2001"

Free Software RS Project Coordination
begin:vcard
n:Menezes;Claudio
tel;fax:5982 413.2094