[ox-en] Re: [ox] Free Book: Free Software Project

Hi

On Monday, 3. June 2002 22:07, Stefan Merten wrote:
but this is a nice example of transferring the
principles of production of Free Software to another field -
book writing in this case. They express that even explicitly:

Again, you've missed the most important principle. Maybe it's
just too trivial. :o(

http://fsp.salon.com/webx?14 90.W4ZlaVmejIW^5 .eea831e/0

| Right now, these pages, as are all pages on Salon, are
| copyrighted by Salon. That would make this, in free software
| terms, "free beer" rather than "free speech." Salon would not
| be happy if someone grabbed all the text, put it on their
| site, and started selling advertising to it. I myself would
| have weird feelings if someone started rewriting my prose and
| calling it The Free Software Project.
|
| But that, in turn, is because, as a writer, I still consider
| my prose as somehow different than code. But is that a valid
| point of view? Code, prose -- they are both expression. And
| yet, code has a functional result, prose doesn't -- so there
| are differences.

It seems that there is not any license for the book,
intentionally. This means, you can download the text as you can
do with any web page, but that's all. They could take it off the
web at any time. You cannot redistribute it, and you cannot
change it, either! But you can send them corrections, of course.
Very nice.

What about Shareware programs or Demo Scene music? These things
also look a bit like free software. The guy from the Tokyo Dawn
Records web page, who spoke on the Open Music panel at Wizards
of OS II, even called his MODs "Open Source"...

cu,
Thomas
 }:o{#