[ox-en] I had a great time - just a couple of thoughts

[1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
Hello friends,

I got back last night but I haven't yet got my life back on track. Anyway, I 'd like to thank everyone for making this year's Oekonux meeting an unforgettable experience. It was really special, unique in terms of exploring the libre software development paradigm from a social and economic perspective and most importantly I made lots of new friends.

As far as the organisation of the meeting is concerned, everything was perfect with the minor exception of Internet access (and that milk run out during the final day:-)).

It is also sad that I attended no more than two German - based presentations. I want to thank all the people who translated various presentations - it was definitely worth the effort - but apparently (in my opinion) it didn't suffice. I don't mean to be rude and I can't propose anything instead, but it's clear that unless the people responsible for the translation have been specifically trained for it or/and have some  experience in doing it, the translation is always subject to personal bias and thus is many times resulting in misunderstandings of the original aim of any given speaker.

On the bright side, there was a good mix between people and all the peole I got to talk to had been rather receptive to views contrasting their own. Being open to change and democratic conflict is after all the foundation for an open society built on opposing but harmonically co-existing viewpoints. The organisers talked about the line between organisers, attendants and speakers and that this line should be crossed, meaning that we are all part of an open community and that the meeting's success rests on us. Therefore, we are all responsible for extending and advancing the meeting's boundaries and we should all be involved and give our best self. I grasped the significance of it and I think that it's great that the Oekonux meeting is thriving to be more and more involving. Keep up the good work and this nice attitude!

p.s.: I am looking forward to Chris from Sheffield posting the URL with the photos on the list - there are some very nice pictures with a belly dancer included:-)

Cheers

George

Kylie is still on top of the Viral chart - http://viral.lycos.co.uk