[ox-en] New mailing list `chat oekonux.de' (was: Re: [ox] Re: [ox] Re: Off-Topic-Mail)

Hi!

Sending this to both lists because it is relevant to the English and
the German list. The topic was how to treat off-topic mail - i.e. mail
which is not covered by the description of the list.

Yesterday oekonux wrote:
We have two legitimate concerns here.

Yes.

A lot of people dont want to be spammed with offtopic posts,
dont have the time to filter the ontopic posts, etc.

Yes.

On the other hand it would be a shame if there wasnt a way to extend the
community of the mailinglist beyond strictly topical things for those
who feel like.

Meanwhile there seems to be a real need (Bedürfnis) for this, yes.
This needs to be addressed.

This is a problem faced by most other mailinglist I read as well and the best
solution I came across is the one of the muddev mailinglist
(mentioned in an earlier post).
They have a separate "Meta" mailinglist where threads are moved once
they become offtopic or where one can post things not related to the
main mailinglists topic at all, just addressed at roughly the same
audience

I like this solution to the problem very much and proposed similar
things some time ago.

Yesterday Franz J Nahrada wrote:
And I do not think many will have time to
subscribe to one more meta-list.

This is contrary to your point, Franz. People have not enough time for
all the traffic they did not choose to receive - which is what is
pointed out above. So a separate chat list is an aid for this people -
and not a problem.

Anyway, to resolve this situation, I just created a new list

	chat oekonux.de

It won't have a topic and so no mail can be off-topic there. It also
won't have a preferred language. It is created to be a forum for
people in one of the Oekonux lists to talk about everything they like
and which is not limited to exploring the principles of Free Software
and their possible consequences as the main lists `liste oekonux.de'
and `list-en oekonux.org' are. But it is not even bound to people of
Oekonux. In a word: It has no rules (at least not explicit ones).

Since this issue came up time and time again, I really hope it is now
settled finally. People who want to chat and want to receive chat are
free to use this list while people only interested in the topics
covered by the description of the main lists receive only that.

At the moment I just set up the mailing list. You can subscribe to it
by sending a mail to

	chat-request oekonux.de

containing the single word

	subscribe

in the body of the mail - just like every `majordomo' mailing list.

During the next few days I'll set up the web archiving stuff and the
page for this list which probably will be at

	http://www.oekonux.de/projekt/chat

Also, I will mention it in various places on the web site and in the
descriptions of the main mailing lists.

						See you there