[ox-en] sonny bono/wsis/johan

Hi all,

Many of you will know this already bu the Supreme Court today ruled 7-2 against Eldred's challenge to the Extnsion of Term Act 1998 in the United States, which lengthened copyright from 50 to 70 years.

The reasoning behind the decision has not yet been made available, and it may take some time. Links to the relevant coverage can be found at:
http://www.infoanarchy.org/story/2003/1/15/16831/1048

Does this mark the end of the strategy of legal challenge? What methods now are available to the movement against enclosures. Self-unfolding will not stop, but will be hindered and constrained as a result.
--------------
I'm doing some research on the WSIS at the moment, which has brought me to rediscover the MacBride report for UNESCO, document of the New International Information Order and reason for the US's departure from UNESCO in 1984 (followed shortly thereafter). Challenging capitalist hegemony over communications technologies didn't get too far on that occasion then. Does anyone have any good info on the ITU? I understand they've been tight with buisiness for some time, but facts seem difficult to come across.

The documents so far submitted make very boring reading but that doesn't mean that nothing of interest will be ahppening, for example in relation to the Cybercrime Treaty:
http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/wsis-themes/confidence_and_security/cybercrime.html

The confab would be a good time to highlight the success of free software, (and maybe free wireless infrastructures too).
Lastly, I'd like to come back to Johan's book posts; I also feel strongly that this is the right time to do a book and would like to know if there's anyone else who feels the same, or are we alone?

happy new year to you all,

a.

             http://slash.autonomedia.org
collaborative authorship : collective memory: mass intellectuality
              http://www.infoanarchy.org