Re: [ox-en] hackers v 'politicians'

[1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
Art
I wasnt meaning to lump them together - what iw as trying to suggest is
that with most of the reading I have been doing niether the "left" nor
the "liberals" provide me with an adequate understanding of the proble.
One sees it as a new way of  doing buisness within thier vision of the
American dream of freedom, the other sees it as assisting protest
movements. i ahvent yet come across any (save for waht I have read via
here) that suggests that the GNU project itself is a alternative/protest...
But maybe your lefties are btter ... in fact all the oens I know face to
face are dinasours but I live in some fairly isolate dplaces.
I would love to here more about what the GNU left tyhinks/doeas/understands
Is that clearer?
Martin

Art McGee wrote:

Sometimes it seems that the "theorists" of the US liberal
type consider the new forms of organisation (and as I
inferred the other day how they can be captured/alienated)
and those of the left, whether traditonal or autonomist
consider how existing or new activist/protest movements or
netwroks can communicate better. both seem to miss what
many here see as the importnat point.

Actually, no. The radicals cannot be lumped in with the
liberals. Liberals, especially those in the U.S., tend to
follow the narrow vision of the Internet, open source, and
free software as merely ways to prop up their compromised
and foundation dependent work.

On the other hand, the radicals I associate with, techies
and non-techies, are usually pretty clear about the fact
that open source/free software production serves as an
additional model of societal and economic organization,
although it's not unique in it's concepts. Maybe I just hang
out with a better class of Lefty, but I don't think so. I
just think the problem is that when you lump in liberals as
being part of the Left, even though liberalism has been a
bankrupt and soulless ideology for over 20 years, you end
up dragging everyone else down with it.

As for me and my friends, we are definitely the "GNU Left."

Art

[2  <text/html; us-ascii (7bit)>]