Re: [ox-en] hackers v 'politicians'

I just found an article quoting oekonux messages as part
of an interesting comparison between hackers and activists
and the limitations of their interaction...

http://multitudes.samizdat.net/article.php3?id_article=1030

This article is so lame. Hacker culture no longer belongs
exclusively to the Libertarian Capitalists, and over time,
a whole radical, anarchist, and left-leaning hacker culture
has arisen that distinguishes itself from the typical Wired
Magazine flunky. Who do you thinks makes up the majority of
IndyMedia? Therefore, to even define hacker culture in one
simplistic way is problematic, as I can personally testify
to going months hanging out with hackers, with nary a Rush
Limbaugh conservative, Laurence Lessig libertarian, or
other loser anywhere in sight.

Although the mainstream would like you to think that hacker
culture is monolithic, it long ago splintered into different
currents, where today you can just as easily find an anti-
capitalist or anarchist hacker as you can a libertarian or
pro-capitalist one.

I would agree though that there is a lot of confusion in
this area, and many people mistakenly think that everyone
arguing in favor of open source/free software is some sort
of revolutionary. I think Laurence Lessig said it best:

"So deep is this confusion that even a smart, and traditionally
leftist social commentator like Edward Rothstein makes the same
fundamental mistake in a piece published Saturday. He describes
the movement, of which I am part, as "countercultural," "radical,"
and anti-corporate. Now no doubt there are some for whom those
terms are true descriptors. But I for one would be ecstatic if
we could just have the same copyright law that existed under
Richard Nixon."

---Lawrence Lessig
   Lessig Blog
   January 20, 2003