Re: [ox-en] 3rd Oekonoux Conference

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Chris Croome wrote:

Hi

It's ood to see that the plans for the 3rd conference [1] are
moving on :-)
( I forwarded the conference-related stuff to the conference-organization
list)

I was wondering if some english translations of things
might happen soon?

I think the basic problem is that the German/English speakers don't have
the motivation (more interesting to write new things than translate old
ones) and the monolingual people don't have the skills (well, doh). The
'milestones' text is basically finished, just waiting for Stefan Merten to
go over it. The other texts in the translation section of opentheory.org
seem to have stalled. Any ideas on how we might maybe find people from
outside the list with the necessary language skills? Chris, do you know
how the translations from German work on marxists.org - is it all
dependent on individuals doing whole books each?
Would either putting more texts on opentheory or publicising the
subversion server help?

My guess is that this is a bit like software - hard to get a project
going from nothing with a lot of participants, much easier if there is
something visible already done to build on, which means usually an
individual doing a lot of hard work first. I guess that should be me.
Mutters lame excuse about lack of time... :-(

Graham