Re: [ox-en] The reproduction of the developers

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Chris Croome wrote:

I'm copying this to the Oekonux list.

On Tue 19-Aug-2003 at 11:23:35PM +0100, ionnek wrote:

At 14:15 16/08/03, you wrote:

I was just reading an interesting post on nettime
about "Six Limitations to the Current Open Source
Development Methodology":

 http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0308/msg00043.html

<snip>>
I was planning to write some more on this, about the
contradiactions between to the industrial capitals mode of
production and the mode of production of free software but
I have just re-read Grahams article from the last
conference:

  The Two Economies
  http://second.oekonux-conference.org/documentation/texts/Seaman.html

In fact I found I pretty much agreed with what Felix Stalder wrote - with
the big exception that I'd add an extra one to his list of necessary
features for a 'free' culture to develop in an area - the need for it
to be legal and free from the threat of being easily sued (one obvious
case is being covered by copyright and not patent law; another would be
production of LSD, which otherwise fits most of his preconditions (cheap,
MOP easily available, knowledge widespread, producers can be users,
etc).)

The 'Two Economies' was actually intended to come to a similar conclusion
to Felix's - that what's needed for the free software to spread to more
areas is not so much technical change in production techniques as 'another
round of social innovation'. That might mean a lot of different things,
including positive changes in laws. A precondition for this is that the
ideas have to be visible to more groups; my suggestions were (1) (the same
as Felix's) - adoption of free software ideas by universities, both
teachers and researchers, which has so far been mainly in biology, and
(2) the rapid coalescence of politics and free software which is taking
place in Latin America, especially Brazil. Now Brazil is in the process of
adopting an official position of backing free software as a long term
strategy, it seems to me inevitable that this is going to interact in some
way with the Brazilian capability of producing generic drugs, and that a
the common features of a whole bunch of problems related to monopoly
rights will become much more publicly visible. What happens after that
depends on Felix's 'round of social innovation'!

And that covers a lot of this stuff, please ask if it
doesn't answer you :-)

It shouldn't, it's more questions than answers... ;-)

Graham