Re: [ox-en] Supply-side vs. Demand-side

Heh.

I guess not . . .

:-)

Seth

Seth Johnson wrote:

I wonder whether anybody here might have considered the phenomenon that the
hegemony for the last twenty years seems unique (to me) in the respect that
it has taken the analysis of political philosophy as far down as it can
possibly go -- i.e. to the basis for determination of price in capitalism,
below which one can only go to classical labor value theory in order to
offer effective criticism.  The rationale is crafted with respect to the
fundamental basis for "value" under capitalism, not with respect to numerous
other theoretical approaches operating on the basis of other, less central,
characteristics of the capitalist economic model.

Does this very schematic impression make any sense to the dyed-in-the-wool
Marx folks?  And if so, what do you think it implies?

I have entertained the notion on occasion that, having bottomed out this
way, the only way we can go forward, without encountering unavoidable
contradictions at every turn, might now be that society will have to express
the pertinence of socially-necessary average labor time in economic theory.

Free software connects up with this consideration from the standpoint that
it might very well be that the supply-side rationale was crafted within the
context of the major impact that information technology was soon to bring to
things.  One might trace this back to the establishment of WIPO, or to a
more recent moment that signals numerous confluent events -- the passage of
Bayh-Dole in America, the beginning of the GPL, and the expression of the
Reagan-era version of supply-side economics, all in the early 1980's.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright: http://www.boson2x.org/article.php3?id_article=21

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org