Re: [ox-en] Patents and Copyright, but what about Trademarks?

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

Network solutions could not stop you from calling your bomb shelter a
bomb shelter or referring to bomb shelters in advertising. What they
could stop you from doing is calling your software, especially your
crash protection software, "Bomb Shelter." As a person who likes to be
able to know what I'm getting when I get a piece of software, I find
it difficult to be as hard on trademarks as you are being here.

  I am hard on trademarks as I believe it is the mark "Network Solutions"
that should be granted a monopoly, not the phrase "bomb Shelter".  I
should be able to create and market a "FLORA Community Consulting Bomb
Shelter" piece of software that is recognized as different than the
"Network Solutions Bomb Shelter", regardless of the functionality of my
software.

  We both seem to draw the line, but draw it at a different place.  I
believe people know better what you are getting with my line-drawing than
your own given granting monopolies on words makes it harder to describe a
product in a larger economy, not easier.

---
 Ottawa residents go to the polls on Monday, November 10, 2003
 Democracy is not for spectators - it is your right and duty as citizens
 to participate! http://weblog.flora.org/search.php3?topic_id=52