Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

On Monday, December 08, 2003 at 10:31
Russell McOrmond <list-en oekonux.org> wrote:

  We really are all unique people, and any interface that is 'one size
fits all'  ends up forcing the person to conform to the computer rather
than the computer conform to the person.  Computers will really start to
get interesting at that stage.

Sounds like a project! I've always thought we should be able to carry our
interface around with us (as a memory device), and plug it into whichever
computer we're using so we have the tools and preferences we want.

  There are (at least ;-) two sides of any communication. I believe that
current computer programming languages are not yet advanced enough to
accept a clearly articulated set of instructions without the author
conforming to the current limitations of those languages.

The problem is that avoiding ambiguity requires structured languages. Try
specifying exactly and completely how any piece of software works in a
natural language. You will be far more prolix (and error-prone) than if
you used a high-level computer language. APL was created to describe
exactly how System/360 worked.

The only hope for easier development by amateurs is conversational
artificial intelligence that asks for details, catches holes, and
explains implications. Just like a good programmer.

tOM
---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@	tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:+1-775-307-4133
 _-\_<,	758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)		ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
-Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826)