Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Niall Douglas wrote:

The true engineer uses the right combination of tools of all those
available.

  I don't tend to use or create software in the context of an engineering
solution.  The software I work with primarily exists in the area of
software codification of public policy (ICT governance software, etc) and
thus engineering proficiency is the least important of the criteria for a
successful project.

To not do so produces substantially inferior work. You should
seriously question how good your programming can ever possibly be
with those attitudes.

  For an engineer my work may seem to be inferior work.  Evaluated from a
public policy point of view your work in this area would seem inferior as
you don't seem to recognize that software can be far more than just an
solution to an engineering problem.  For some types of software whether
something is inferior from an engineering standpoint is largely
irrelevant.

Cheers,
Niall
---
 Governance software that controls ICT, automates government policy, or
 electronically counts votes, shouldn't be bought any more than
 politicians should be bought.  -- http://www.flora.ca/russell/