Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

Hi,

On Montag 08 Dezember 2003 11:04, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:59:21AM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Thomas Uwe
Gruettmueller wrote:

My first printer came along with a usable handbook that
explained the protocol idiot-proof. So, I could easily write
a small Basic program that loaded a bitmap graphic and then
sent it to the printer.

Please. Printers are *much* harder to set up under Linux than
under Windows.

What I tried to say was that controlling the undocumented HP
Deskjet 500C (my second printer) from Windows is much harder
than controlling the well documented STAR LC-10 (my first
printer) from an Atari or any other system.

Of course, it is easy to set up the proprietary driver, and then
to print something with Paintbrush, Write or any other
application, but if I want to print anything myself, I have to
learn how to use the GDI API. This is very complicated compared
with programming a STAR LC-10 directly.

Although my old STAR printer is still functional, I don't really
want to use it anymore. It is loud and slow, it can only use
endless paper, and its maximum resulution is 240x216 dpi. But I
hope that my fifth printer will be as easy to be used as my
first printer was.

cu,
Thomas }:o{#
-- - http://217.160.174.154/~sloyment/ - --
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."