Re: Software as society (was: Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux)

* Ref.: »Re: Software as society (was: Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux)«
*        Niall Douglas 	(2003-12-13  09:34)

A pipedream is different to a realistic plan.

... and a "realistic" plan is different from reality.

... I view the GPL as a pipedream because it's not realistic.

(Whether or not a plan is realistic depends on your view of
reality, which, in turn, depends on your position within reality
and your interests resulting from that.)

Why? Because there are clearly superior alternatives available.

(In who's view? ... and what does reality say about this view?)

Not just that - the GPL is bad for software just like
closed-source is generally bad for software.
The GPL is a lock-in - it permanently limits your future
options

"Don't limit the possibilities of limiting -- that would be too
limiting for those poor guys who like limiting all too much. And
it would hurt their business interests too!"

- and is thus kin to Microsoft-style methods of control
and exploitation. Business wants to avoid lock-ins which is why
it's diversifying off Microsoft - creating new options, but I'd
doubt if Microsoft will be going away any time soon.

<sarcasm>
Why don't you just join Microsoft? You could surely read and
reuse all their code within their business interests. ;-) Their
business interests are the same as anyone elses too:
diversification, isn't it? And, yes, because it's business
interests that govern peoples lives, you would be on the "right"
side there ;-)
</sarcasm>

Though I know, that this is very aggressively asked, I would like
to hear what you think about it, because this reflects my problem
to understand you.

Regards,
Casimir.