Re: [ox-en] Re: The powerful abstraction of purposeless things

Hi Martin

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Martin Hardie wrote:

I find the gift economy ideas of indigenous culture very old, rascist and
distasteful

If I want to describe the economy of cultures which do not have classes
is there any term you would find acceptable? The 19th century term used
to be 'primitive communism'. 'Gift economy' was one replacement for that.

Or is the whole idea of using a single term for many different societies
whose only common feature is that they do not have classes wrong?

Personally, I like to have some such term - it is a stand against the
universalizing pretensions of marginalist economics, which thinks that
everyone at all times and places acts in terms of 'opportunity costs'.

But none of those pertains to you but from where the ideas come
I do dasagree that these purposeless things did not support life. They do.
That is my point.

I'm happy with that particular point.

Graham