Re: [ox-en] Germ of a new form of society or germ of a new form of business?

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 11:55, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

Mako poo pooed this idea some months ago

I don't recall that the the context of the conversation was exactly as
you described or I can't imagine imagine I would have poo-poo'ed
it. Unless there was a misunderstanding or communication error of
course. Links to the archive would be welcome.

Ah. Was this the conversation about how free software is poorly
documented, etc? I still think the documentation is pretty good. It
could, and will, get better, and the software can, and will, get more
user friendly. Maybe I don't understand what you want or think should
change.

yes the talk of guilds and your response of the "hacker republic"

You have to be inducted tot he elite to be able to take advantage of
the "free" attched to the source code.

I think there is a important difference between learning the skills
necessary to use it and being "inducted into the elite." Free software
exists in a world of inequality and will reflect and reinforce
those unless developers are aware and proactive -- and to some degree
even when they are.

learning the skills introduces you/inducts you into the hacker republic. Until
then you are not.
try and get help advice when you live somewhere were the republic does not
exist....its not a question of reading the manual as the manuals are written
for people with skills......even installing a new version of open office org
requires those skills that are not available to all. Installing a new msof
windows doesnt require any skill.

Martin

--

http://openflows.org/~auskadi/

"Mind you, I am not asking you to bear witness to what you believe false,
which would be a sin, but to testify falsely to what you believe true - which
is a virtuous act because it compensates for lack of proof of something
that certainly exists or happened." Bishop Otto to Baudolino in Umberto Eco's
Baudolino.