Re: [ox-en] Germ of a new form of society or germ of a new form of business?

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 11:55, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

I think there is a important difference between learning the skills
necessary to use it and being "inducted into the elite."

Maybe I can provide an analogy as to why I don't find this convincing.
I am/was a member of an elite. I was a barrister in Australia. I am still a
"lawyer". I was inducted to that elite (or those elites) by  "learning the
skills necessary" to join the club. Most anyone can learn those skills and
when they do and adopt the beliefs or basic tenents of the elite in question
they are or have been inducted.

If I had someone to "learn" me some more linux skills, and I adopted the
beliefs or tenents of the "hurd" I would be inducted into that elite.

OK? Where is the difference. One elite precahes "justice" and the "rule of
law" the other preaches "free" software and the rule of open code .... Both
elittes are sustained by a power gained through learning and belonging to a
"community" (the " .." is for Graham!).

I accept the position that tendentially FLoss can smooth the space of the
globe so that virtually everyone is within the elite.  But that is not the
case now and requires better ways of imparting the skills.

Thats all folks

Agur  garate (para los vascos en el list)

Martin

--

http://openflows.org/~auskadi/

"Mind you, I am not asking you to bear witness to what you believe false,
which would be a sin, but to testify falsely to what you believe true - which
is a virtuous act because it compensates for lack of proof of something
that certainly exists or happened." Bishop Otto to Baudolino in Umberto Eco's
Baudolino.