Re: [ox-en] Eudaimonia WAS Fwd: self-unfolding - Selbstenftaltung - self valorisation

Hi Martin,

Martin Hardie wrote:

self-unfolding - Selbstenftaltung

I found reading Aristotle's Nicomachaean Ethics useful when I was trying to get to grips with the term Selbstenftaltung. (cf Primacy of State, Primacy of Contract threads)

there is another greek word i know that describes a state which resonates this thought - it is 'eudaimonia' ('happiness' or 'human florishing') ... the telos of human action as described in aristotle's Nicomachaean Ethics

... also I think Plato's Republic V is worth a read in contrast to his *Laws*

cf *Philospher Queens and Private Wives: Plato on Women and the Family* - Susan Molller Okin - Feminist Interpretations and Political Theory

--
Pink

"To join in the theoritical dialogue is to participate in the vital argument over the purpose and goals of our common life which lies at the heart of politics."

Mary Lyndon & Carole Pateman