Re: [ox-en] earliest open source licence

Joel

thanks (not specifically on topic .... should I have said this on chat ?)

Martin

R Schlosberg wrote:

Graham Seaman wrote:
The oldest free program I know of still in use is spice (electronics
sumulation), written in 1975. That now has a BSD license, but I'd guessit picked up the license some time after being released. The BSD license
in its present form has 1979 as the first copyright date on it
(random eg: http://jicarilla.sourceforge.net/LICENSE.txt)

Another example of an old free program still in use is the game Nethack, which was started in 1985 and is still being developed.  Its license, the Nethack General Public License, is from 1989, and is based on Stallman's Bison General Public License from 1988, which seems to predate the GPL:
http://www.nethack.org/common/license.html

Joel

--
"the riddle which man must solve, he can only solve in being, in being what he is and not something else...."