[ox-en] Re: [pox] open project: Vodes.Net

Hi!

On [pox] we received the following mail. Because this is rather
on-topic here I forward it here - and give a short comment.

3 weeks (21 days) ago Core Team V N wrote:
Hi,

We have been told about the Oekonux project. Perhaps there is some overlap
between what you guys are doing and what we are trying to set up here.

Generally, it is about the setting up of a fund raising platform which
enables direct funding of artists (e.g. by selling shares of music
albums). Voders would be "shareholders" in that they jointly own the
platform, but there is no money involved. Voders need to pay one Euro
annually and get certain rights in exchange (e.g. dismissing the
management board). There is also a supervisory board (Community Wisdom
Council) overseeing the Steering Committee (management board).

Open Source developers are also artists in a way. We invite people to
comment on the usability of the Voding concept in the case of translations
and testing. In theory, economic incentives could very well complement
non-economic incentives (beta testing and writing translations are
extremely important, but not very interesting to developers). In this
case, Voding could - we believe - be positive provided the core developing
community manages the fund raising process.

Here's some background on our project:
http://www.vodes.net/frontpage/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=188

Community Property Pool:
http://www.vodes.net/frontpage/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=145&Itemid=167

"Goals":
http://www.vodes.net/frontpage/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=161&Itemid=186

People's IPO:
http://www.vodes.net/frontpage/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=109&Itemid=168

--
Core Team V.N.

I quickly checked the links above. To me it looks like this project is
very much based on exchange - including (artificial) scarcity by
access limitations:

  As for (1), Voders who translate the concept in other languages,
  submit proposals for Community Contests, help in organizing concerts
  etc. get Support and Creativity Points (together referred to as
  Community Points). Those Points enable them to get tracks from the
  CPP in high quality. The CPP is openly accessible and can be
  listened to by anyone. The Format is Ogg in dial-up quality. Any
  song in this pool can be "purchased" by Voders with their CP. They
  get a higher quality (192 kbps). For instance, you translate 100
  words of the V.N. concept into Spanish and get yourself 10 Support
  Points. Those 10 points will get you two songs of the CPP in high
  quality.

  (From "Community Property Pool")

Well, to me it looks like this has all little to do with the concepts
of Free Software as they are discussed in this project. However, it is
one of the attempts to embed exchange economy in Free Projects and
vice versa. I for one am sceptical about approaches like this.