Re: [ox-en] Dangerous changes in the GPL 3.0

Hi Tom, Karel, Niklas, all!

Last week (11 days ago) Tom Chance wrote:
It's not yet clear exactly how the change will work, so your objection rings a
little hollow.

Hopefully :-) .

How do you propose the FSF can close the loophole that allows
GPL-ed internet services to be modified and used without reciprocity?

Thanks for fueling my scepticism. The GPL is *not* based on
reciprocity so far. It only ensures that someone who receives the
binaries of (modified) Free Software should have the same rights as
the distributor has. This is only enforcing the original authors will
and this a big difference to reciprocity.

Also I find the point with the Internet services ridiculous. From the
very beginning of Free Software similar situations existed. One of the
big, early Free Software projects was the GCC (a compiler) and you can
process all kind of source code with the GCC. I remember well that in
the company where I worked at that time we wondered whether we need to
GPL the sofware because it has been compiled with the GCC. This is not
the case. Neither would we were required to publish a modified GCC we
could have built to compile proprietary software. So where is the big
difference with Internet services based on Free Software?

No this control attitude is new and it haunts the discussion for at
least a year now.